Current Volunteer Opportunities
If you are interested in a volunteer role, please contact our Volunteer Director, Janine Philipsen at email@example.com
Role: Community Directors (unlimited, could use one in every U.S. town!)
Location: Your town and the surrounding community
Do you know someone who drowned or had a near-drowning experience? These terrible accidents can largely be prevented through education and layers of protection. Community Directors help deliver our programs in their neighborhood and the surrounding area. Depending on your interest and abilities, activities may include:
- Build relationships with local contacts:
- Aquatics: swim schools, swim teams, pools, Parks and Recreation Departments
- Businesses: restaurants, child/parent focused retailers, pool supply stores
- Media: TV and radio stations, local newspapers, and affiliated online sites
- Partner organizations: Safe Kids, hospitals, moms clubs, fire districts, health departments, city councils
- Schools: PTAs, day care centers, pre-schools, primary schools, high schools
- Volunteer groups: Junior League, Rotary and Kiwanis clubs, Girl/Boy Scouts
- Implement programs and water safety events:
- Work with schools to distribute water safety storybooks to young children and implement a 10-hour water safety curriculum with 5 lesson plans.
- Identify underprivileged youth who could benefit from free swimming lessons and life jackets.
- Partner with aquatic facilities to deliver swimming lesson programs and host water safety events.
- Collaborate with Parks and Recreation Departments and corporate funders to establish life jacket loaner stations at public open water areas.
- Manage local volunteers to implement water safety programs and events.
- Partner with local businesses to implement Drowning Prevention Month fundraisers in May.
- Ask your city council to acknowledge Drowning Prevention Month with a proclamation.
- Distribute water safety information to community groups as needed.
- Represent the Drowning Prevention Foundation at community events.
- Submit requests for program funds and supplies to the Treasurer.
- Complete simple monthly activity reports (online questionnaires).
- Log all contact information and activity in the online Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool.
Must be outgoing and not afraid to ask for things. You must also have your own computer and transportation (local travel will be reimbursed monthly).
Role: Development Director (skills-based pro bono position)
Location: Work from home
The Development Director raises funds needed to sustain the Drowning Prevention Foundation’s programs. The Development Director will spend approximately 5 – 10 hours per week on some of the below duties (personal interests and past experience will be considered).
- Develop relationships with donor prospects.
- Develop and deliver donor cultivation tactics for individuals and organizations.
- Submit grant requests to corporate and foundation prospects.
- Identify and support organizations and individuals that can conduct fundraisers (e.g. restaurants that can do Dining Out For Drowning Prevention fundraisers).
- Prepare donor thank you letters for donation checks received.
- Ask companies to include the Drowning Prevention Foundation on their workplace giving ballot and promote our programs and services at their events (e.g. health fairs).
- Represent the Drowning Prevention Foundation at events.
- Log donor prospect contact information and activity in a tracking sheet.
- Update Drowning Prevention Foundation contact info on online giving sites as needed.
- Design donor materials such as cards, e-newsletter, and a website recognition page.
Role: Technology Director (skills-based pro bono position)
Location: Work from home
We need tech support from a professional! Lend us your expertise for a few hours each month to accomplish the following:
- Update WordPress website with new content as requested.
- Enroll in and administer Google for Nonprofits program products (Grants/AdWords, Analytics, etc.).
- Administer Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool and train users.
- Administer Google Apps (@nokidsdrown.org) for new users.
- Generate monthly reports.